Thursday, September 15, 2011

Small kitchens that still get the job done...

Chris and I don't have a very large kitchen in our new apartment. It has no windows, but a decent sized pantry - which really helps. Counter space is scant - so we purchased a long, narrow baker's cart at ikea - which was worth every penny. I'm about to stencil the kitchen with a sheen effect - high gloss and matte - in a lovely navy indigo to contrast our beige-pink backsplash and white cabinets. I've been searching through a lot of kitchen inspiration lately and thought I'd share some of my favorite finds...

This painted wallpaper looks stunning.  Our kitchen is going to be painted a very dark indigo - so I like finding other dark kitchens.
via Design Sponge

 Our kitchen absolutely wouldn't work with out our baker's cart.  They are essential for small kitchens.
via Apartment Therapy

via BHG


 Lots of shelving make up for a lack of cabinets.
via Country Living

a puppy in a basket - what else does a kitchen need?
via Rue Mag

oh my...the organization junkie in me gets a bit too excited by this armoire of canisters...
 via Pinterest

love, love, love, love a rug like this in the kitchen. beautiful.  It would look great in our navy/indigo kitchen, too.
via Little Green Notebook

Do you have a little kitchen? How do you make the most of your space?

5 comments:

Wendi @ Classic Chic Home said...

I hope you'll share the stencil effect when you're done. Great examples of compact and functional kitchens. I agree, every kitchen should have a puppy in a basket!

Dreamy Spaces said...

Really liking the open shelving in the kitchens. Great small space ideas! Knives lined up in the first picture: a little scary having them displayed like that. But loving the contrast of knife colors with the dark blue wallpaper. That part I really like!

Nancy said...

The GRUNDTAL series from IKEA! I think I used every piece (including the knife rail)! Having my utensils and cookware hanging from the rail is visually appealing and incredibly functional. Another IKEA find was a cutting board that sits over the sink.

I have a miniscule kitchen with no drawers, no base cabinets and three small upper cabinets. The only counter is the area on top of the dishwasher! I painted the kitchen Farrow&Ball Drawing Room Blue, the cabinets F&B House White and added under cabinet lighting.

The other lifesaver has been the Elfa over the door system from the Container Store for the pantry. My other great find was a set of flatware that hangs from a rack that I found in Paris... great souvenir that gives me a smile at every meal.

Karlita said...

In love with those striped curtains!

Katie I KCandCo said...

I love the idea in one of the photos of painting with chalk board paint for the backsplash in a kitchen! You can even write a recipe down in large font as inspiration!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+