Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Inspiration and tips for organizing your craft space

The better organized and pretty your craft space, the more you are going to get out of it.  Below are a few tips for getting it back in shape and lots of eye candy full of inspiration. These are coming at you from BHG. My additions are in italics.

Clean Out Clutter.

Test all the craft supplies you own, including paints, markers, and glues. Do the same with tools such as scissors, staplers, and punches. Toss everything that doesn't work. Put similar items in clear plastic containers with handles.

Storage for Small Gear.

Hang a clear vinyl shoe bag inside a closet or behind a door. Slip small parts, supplies, and tools into the pouches. If you have no door/closet in your work space - try a small rolling cart with lots of little drawers.

via Amazon

Hang Fabric.

Drape fabric scraps and swatches over rubber-coated hangers intended for multiple pairs of pants. Hang from hooks on the back of a door. Different fabrics need special treatment - even draping velvet over a hanger can damage it This post from Entirely Smitten has great storage ideas, which includes creating your own little minibolts, to using storage boxes originally intended for CDs and other items.

via Entirely Smitten

Organize Ideas.

Purchase eight to 10 sturdy letter boxes and fill with inspirational materials from books, magazines, photographs, and online searching. Organize and label boxes by topic, source, or project. Stack near a chair or desk and use an extra counter, end table, or resting spot. I organize my inspiration and ideas in binders. I fill the binders with clear page protectors and slip my inspiration in the sleeves. It is a really fast way to literally flip through my inspiration. I have a binder for graphic design, hair and makeup, workouts, packaging design, etc.

Here is some great craft and work spaces for inspiration:


so gorgeous!  But I hate when they take cords out of shots - where is the lamp cord?
 Regardless, the cube shelves provide great storage.


This is a dream space - tons of storage drawers, a cushy window seat!
3 above via BHG

via Curbly

via Ikea

via Pinterest

A cabinet with tons of tiny drawers is great if your projects require lots of small tools and materials.
via Pinterest

10 comments:

Mindy said...

I absolutely love your blog!!! All the beautiful photos you find make me want to rush out and buy an enormous house so I can put them all to use! This post makes the organizer in me go nuts. Thanks for all the amazing ideas!

Amanda Hill said...

I just found your blog and I am totally smitten! You have great style! I am so excited to come back for more yumminess, totally becoming a follower! Thanks xoxo.

Britt @ Dreamy Spaces said...

I’m actually going to be doing some of this this weekend so these tips will come in handy!  Really like the shelves and the boxes in the shelves and the binders, all good organizing equipment. Am definitely going to use these ideas for the weekend project!

Tricia Rose said...

All too tidy! the real luxury is space - filing comes a poor second.

I want the study at Sissinghurst...

ashley@decorology said...

@Amanda - welcome! so glad you like it so far!!!

Jillian Pimental said...

Oh my goodness! I'm honored that featured my fabric organization. It's nice to know that other people appreciate my organization sickness! Thanks :)

Trey said...

Wow, I love your site, big thank you to these ideas, and note in the first place that I fully agree with you! Let me emphasize, yes your article was excellent, I was thinking about all this and more the other day. This is my very first comment here and I’ll come back with pleasure on this blog!


Trey

Anonymous said...

I love the tall dresser that has 20 drawers. Do you know who manufactures it? I tried to find it on pinterest, but couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Ashley said...

@anonymous - the dresser belongs to Susanne over at Me and Alice. You might want to write her and ask her where she got it. http://meandalice.blogspot.com/2011/07/sunday-flea.html

thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

Thanks so much for the info and link!

:)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+