Thursday, July 28, 2011

Reveal 1 - our new apartment

So last week boyfriend and I looked far and wide for an apartment in DC, because he's starting his masters program at GWU in the fall. We searched in multiple DC neighborhoods - Georgetown, The Hill around Eastern Market, Dupont Circle, Foggy BOttom, Shaw, Cleavland Park, Glover Park, etc. We also scoped out Arlington and Alexandria in Virginia, and Silver Spring and Bethesda in Maryland. While there were areas of DC we really liked - we couldn't get the space we needed with our budget. I work from home and therefore require more space than if I left the house for an office each day. We also really fell in love with old town Alexandria, but the only thing we could find in our budget was a good 20 min walk from old town. In the end, we decided on an awesome Bethesda apartment. I'm from Maryland but had actually never been to Bethesda, and was really impressed. Where our apartment is situated is only a 7 minute walk from the subway, and we can walk to shops and restaurants. In DC we just didn't have the budget to live close to shops and the subway.

We also have around 750 sq ft and 2 huge closets! That's unheard of in NYC and Brooklyn where I was living before. Anyway, I have to decide on paint choices. We want to keep the colors somewhat neutral because unless colors are "extreme," we aren't required to repaint when we move out.

I took some pics of the place and did some photoshop magic to show you the 2 colors we are thinking of. I'm really loving gray lately - so I'm thinking gray for the bedroom, and a nice, creamy light aqua for the large living/dining space.

So, these 4 pics are the bedroom





These are the living room - which includes a dining nook



Let me know what you think? Has anyone painted a room gray? I've been seeing it a lot, and I'm really liking it.

20 comments:

Leslie said...

Congrats on the new apartment! One of my friends is going to the GW law school and tells me of the woes he's been having finding an apartment! So I sympathize with your pain, though it looks like you found a great apartment!

L

Melanie said...

Good luck decorating.

I painted my house escarpment (gray) from Benjamin Moore. Very lovely. Gray, but not cold. Lots of compliments and it goes really nicely with lots of colors . . . I have it paired with some smokey blues.

Nicola @Trendandtrue.tumblr.com said...

Congrats on the new place and good luck to your husband on his new adventure. My great uncle, Lloyd Elliott, used to be the president of GW so needless to say I have heard many GREAT things about the institutions! As for painting a room gray, I painted my dining room 2 shades of gray and I LOVE it! I is chic and calming and goes with any accessory. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=344291370130&set=a.10150259265520131.502299.623940130&type=1
I say go for it!

kcmindy said...

I painted my downstairs "rec" room a gray with slight blue undertones, then applied wallpaper to two walls in a HUGE graphic black and white graphic print. LOVE it.

Lyn said...

Love the apartment! Congrats - so exciting! I just painted my bedroom Galveston Gray from Benjamin Moore. I wanted a gray that wasn't too dark and overwhelming but that also wasn't so light I didn't get that pop I wanted - and this Galveston Gray was the perfect solution. I'd be happy to email you a pic if you'd like to see the room!

tinadotcom.com said...

We painted a part of our big living room gray and love it so much. There are so many shades of gray, you surely find yours. I had some scrap cardstock we loved and so we hung it to the wall and lived with it a little while. After that we still loved it an now it´s on the wall, heehee. Congratulations to your new appartement!

Hugs, Tina

Abbie said...

I'm loving gray right now too and am trying to convince my boyfriend to let me do a gray and yellow theme in our bedroom! I think it's a really versatile color that goes with a lot of others depending upon the shade you choose.

Congratulations and happy decorating! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Rachellabelle said...

I have my entire condo painted gray. I picked the colour 9 years ago -- before it became so popular -- and I still love it to this day. I also get a ton of compliments from both men and women on the colour. It's very sophisticated and soothing.

Conspicuous Style Design Blog said...

I used Benjamin Moore Winter Solstice in my living room, dining room, and foyer. I love it. You can see it under "My Home" if you go over to my blog. Good lick!
Stacy

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Congrats. Lovely place and I'm sure you will make it LOVELIER!

Merlynn H.W. said...

Love the gray. Good choice.

poindextr said...

I'm so excited for you! Wonderful apartment and so many possibilities! Your color selections are sure to be beautiful.

Chic & Deco said...

Felicidades por vuestro nuevo apartamento. Creo que pintar de gris sería un buen acierto y combinarlo con muebles claros parecido al color del suelo. Incluso podrías poner una lámpara en color fluor. Suerte.

Kerry said...

I think you'll love the area. We moved a hour South of DC because of the space/budget issue. I have done a ton of painting recently and highly recommend Sherwin-Williams Superpaint. It is self-priming paint that really works. I don't work for SW or anything but I covered a ghastly maroon with pale blue in 2 coats

Wholesale Flowers said...

Congratulations!!!! new spaces bring new energies along... the best of lucks in this new chapter ;) Tiff

Tricia Rose said...

I love gray and have painted several rooms with it, but had trouble with a douglas fir floor - somehow the warm wood and the gray just didn't like each other.

I see that your floor is quite 'warm' too - might be an idea to paint a board the color you like and carry it around the room - I ended up with quite a greeny gray, which finally looked as though it belonged. Good luck!

Gee said...

My friend painted walls gray and bought some with furnishing. It looks fantastic :)

Cathie said...

I'm glad you guys found a place with a lot of space! I'm sure it's going to look great once you painted and decorated :)

robocco said...

Congrats oon the new apartment - I know how good this feels as I moved in a new apartment myself just a few months ago. It's been fine having found a new place to live in but it's been really hard and time consuming work to remodel it. Every room was painted in light green and so I decided to paint every single one.

My living room is pretty spacious and I also have little nook for the dining area.
As you asked if gray would be fine, that depends of the shade. I painted the walls in the living room in gray using a shade called 'pearle'. The color looked rather violet when still wet making me reconsider my choice but it came out lovely in the end. To accentuate it a little I painted the nook in a bright pink. As my uncle owns a paint shop I had my dining furniture lacquered bright white and with the pink it always gives me real summer boost feeling ...

I'm sure you'll pick the suitable colors for you!

Liz Weinberg said...

Congrats on the new apartment! This is such an exciting time for you guys, I'm really happy for the two of you.

I love the idea of gray walls and I'm looking forward to seeing more pics :)

<3 Liz

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+