Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Home office for two? How to make the space work

So my boyfriend and I will be moving into our new apartment in Bethesda, MD in a week. I still have a ton to do - pick out paint colors, paint, pack, etc. I work from home, and he will be spending a lot of time studying when he starts his masters program at GWU the end of August. We have a large living room, and a medium-sized bedroom, so we've been trying to plan out how to create workspace that works for the both of us. I know I will want my desk in the living room, and we can either set up a home office for two in the living room, or he can set up his desk in a nook in the bedroom. We're not sure which route we will take, but in my search for inspiration I found some great 2-person home offices.

Check 'em out below:

This set up is a great idea..though it will inspire footsie in times of peace and kicking in times of war...
via Unclutterer

Really like this one too...seems the key is staying uncluttered!
via Curbly

two desks situated in an L position...I like this home office but I don't think we could work this configuration in our space

via Apartment Therapy

One of my all-time fav offices.  If we had the space I'd love to do something like this
via ?

This couple created a workspace in the bay window of their bedroom with a piece of Ikea counter top. This is great but I can't work from the bedroom. The idea could really be done anywhere, though.
via Flickr


This 2fer looks like it's an ikea desk with a small set of malm ikea drawers for storage to divide the desk space.  Also one of the monitors is mounted on the wall to save space.
via Picasa

So pretty.  I need a tad more surface space on my desk though, and one of those hopelessly ugly office chairs... There's a DIY for this desk here.

I adore this home office/guest bedroom/playroom all-in-one
via Young House Love

 
Another pretty option.  This desk is fashioned from a closet door.
via Utopia Invitations

Has anyone every had a 2 person home office? Any tips for me - did it work for you or no?
Thanks guys! I'll be sharing some pics of the new apartment soon!

13 comments:

Leslie said...

I love these office spaces for two! I think mostly because it gives me more desk space! And I do love my desk space!! :)

L

Acrimoniously agreeable said...

Thanks for posting these great set ups! But there is no way hubby and i could do the side by side ones. We get off task frequently and I'm a peeker. Even at the gym I'm always looking at his treadmill to compare stats :)

Shea McGee said...

We had the same issue when my husband and I moved into our apartment! We used a counter top and trestle legs from ikea...

http://sheaandsyd.blogspot.com/2010/09/before-with-after.html

Morning Sparrow said...

I love to see other home office spaces for inspiration. Thank you for posting this!

offset printing said...

This blog is great. I mean, I think this is very useful for couples out there who are really trying to work out with their spaces. Thank you for sharing this because I will share also this with my friend who shares her stuff with her boyfriend.

MissBliss said...

we are in a small South Beach apartment and have traded space to be able to walk to the ocean...

it's tough to figure out a space that works... we have a glass top with IKEA trestle shelf bases, but seem to always end up at the dining table or couch... we have a small rolling media cart too.

I like the new little laptop desks CB2 has: http://www.cb2.com/office-furniture/office/tucker-white-laptop-table/f6744

Good luck-- definitely want to see what you come up with :)

Danni said...

I absolutely adore the first one. It seems like it gives you tons of extra work space, without taking up more actual space than neccessary.

InĂªs Pereira @Perfect-home said...

The office/bedroom/playroom is beautiful. An very practical for small apartments! :)

Marcia said...

I'm a high school student who shares the office with my dad, who also works from home. We used these:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69885229 (bought two)

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39847776 (bought one)

to create an L that fits into the corner of the room, leaving lots of space in the middle of the room. Since I have less stuff, I don't use a lot of room but in your case I'm guessing the two straight tables can be used for work, leaving the curved one for anything else you need.

The good thing about this setup is that it leaves a lot of space, and since the setup is really simple, you can put small file cabinets underneath.

However, this idea may be a little much for a living room since the setup takes up two entire walls of the office here. Maybe you can try to downsize it! :)

Good luck finding a nice home office!

Robin said...

Ooh I want that green chair! I would love to share a home office with my husband in some ways...but he can't stop talking - even when we're back to back. Nice pics - thanks!

Karlita said...

very useful post! loved the white built in office without source... a real source of inspiration.. these days everyone posts ones rooms and not the couples' good ideas! would like to surprise my husband with one of those..

mydeco said...

pretty interesting using things like closet doors to make desks. Remember you both need your own space to work and keep it uncluttered.

Inspire Me Heather said...

Great post and fabulous photos - I linked this to my offices post too today, for inspiration!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+