Thursday, June 23, 2011

For the love of old houses...

I LOVE old houses - so much charm, history, character, and individuality.  A lot of maintenance too - but the pay off is worth it.  I grew up in an almost 200 year-old colonial on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.  Hardwood floors with as many ups and downs as an old country lane, old glass windows that gave you "wavy" vision when you looked out of them...I have a special place in my heart for old houses.

Here are some great examples of how savvy homeowners have turned their oldies but goodies into even better...ies...from the master of old houses, This Old House..


The 3 images below are from the home of their Reader Remodel Contest, a 1920s Colonial Revival in Orlando, Florida.

 The kitchen was my favorite part of the renovation.  I love white cabinetry...and the space is so bright and airy..

The family worked hard to keep the soul of the house in tact...


LOVE the board and baten door...


They also featured lots of great 1 room makeovers.  Here were some of my fav's

Before:

contractor grade cabinets make me cringe...

After:
Gorgeous - love the floors...


The kitchen below isn't too far from what my parents are dealing with now in their 70s rancher...

pretty amazing transition huh?  Check out the sconces above the stove hood...



This living room is possibly my favorite redo - I think the fireplace is simply fabulous.  Love the built-in's too.  Only thing I might rethink is the rug.


Do you like old houses?  Have you ever lived in one and undertaken a renovation?

If you want to read more about these makeovers go to This Old House or pick up the July 2011 issue...

*disclosure: I received a copy of This Old House July 2011 to review as a sample

10 comments:

Boo Hazard said...

Well, since I own a 150 year old house I think I fall into the I LOVE them too category!! Although I don't love the maintenace ;)

It may sound corny, but I do feel like my house has got a soul to it and I love preserving her and all her glory! (Oh and my favorite room re do was that living room as well - what a difference a fire place makes!) - BOO

FW said...

Love old houses too! Nice features. Can't wait to see more! :)

leslie said...

The new redesigns are to die for! Not to take anything away from the original designs, which were quite wonderful themselves.

adventuresofoldandnew.blogspot.com

Dina said...

The kitchen is amazing!

Meme said...

We lived in an old farmhouse in PA - the ceilings were so low I could touch them standing flat footed - but I loved that home. Our house now is approx 90 years young and I also believe it has a soul. The man who built it must have loved his family - wainscoting on the ceilings, front and back porches. A back yard with trees that tickle the sky - and a back screen door that slams! Thank you for sharing your photos - very inspiring.

ashley@decorology said...

@meme - sounds aammmazing!

Notcathy said...

I am amazed to see those old houses. I love them because it's so classic. Loved to see more of this.. :)

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I don't normally love old houses here in Switzerland because they tend to have lots of small rooms and very small windows - I assume it's because they were easier to heat up at the time, but the effect make me feel claustrophobic.

But I absolutely love these renovated houses where they retain what gave the house character and add modern touches! Plus I adore the mix of old and modern.

Christine Moscinski said...

Stunning touches - love old houses :)

Erin said...

These photos are quaint. Yet I think it costs more to remodel and maintain an old house than build a new one. I dunno.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+