Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Not to miss - the gorgeous rocky coast of Italy's Cinque Terre

The second country we visited on my 9 week trip through Europe was Italy. Our first destination in Italy was Cinque Terre, a section of the coast composed of 5 towns. One can either do a day hike along the stunning blue ocean and stop in each village along the way, or there is a train that stops in each town. We stayed in the town Riomaggiore. "The coastline, the five villages, and the surrounding hillsides are all part of the Cinque Terre National Park and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site." - wikipedia

Here are my pictures from our two day stay and hike in gorgeous Cinque Terre. Let me know what you think or if you've been!

A view of the town where we stayed, Riomaggiore

Another view



Riomaggiore





Manarola is the second town you'll hit if coming from Riomaggiore.


The two above pictures are of Vernazza, which is built out on a jutting rock and has a lookout tower. Before Vernazza (if coming from Riomaggiore) is Corniglia, the only town of the 5 that is not built right on the coast but up a very long flight of stairs at the top of the hill.


You pass through many vineyards on the hike

...and lots of beautiful coastline


Monterosso al Mare, the most resort like town along the trail. Monterosso is at one end, and Riomaggiore, where we stayed, is at the other, so we started at Riomaggiore and finished at Monterosso.



Here's a list of all my posts from our travels that I've published -

Spain

•Introduction to my European backpacking trip and a list of places we visited
Galicia - Baiona and Isle de Cies
Galicia - the coast, some charming vineyards, and Pontevedra
Santiago de Compostela and gorgeous hidden beaches
Gorgeous mountain lakes of Picos de Europa
Stunning mountains - Picos de Europa
Bilbao and San Sebastian
Beautiful Barcelona
The amazing Sagrada Familia Cathedral in Barcelona
Art Nouveau dream house by Gaudi in Barcelona

15 comments:

dollystar said...

stupendo; da sognare!
Dolly

Maggie @ Cheneyhome said...

Sigh...we went to Cinque Terre and all over Italy on our honeymoon, and everywhere we went was breathtaking. I am in love with that country.

Jill Seidner | Interior Design said...

These pictures are amazing - I want to travel here!

Lonely Wife Project said...

Italy is one of my fav countries! Lovely photos. They make me want to hop the next flight straight there.

My Notting Hill said...

Your pics are beautiful. We stayed in Vernazza three years ago - really enjoyed the swimming too. Fun thing happened on our last day at the Monterosso train station - we say actress Lindsay Wagner of the Bionic Woman.

Porchlight Interiors said...

Oh such perfection! I'm hoping to make it there next year. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pictures! Tracey xx

Joyce@canadianoriginals.net said...

Beautiful photos. We were in Italy last fall and spent three days touring Cinque Terre. Stayed in Manarola - loved it.

Dizzy Daisy said...

I've been to Cinque Terra and your photos brought back such lovely memories. Thanks for sharing!

Cynthia Banks said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Reminds me of a recent trip to Italy. I stayed in Rome, Sorrento, the Isle of Capri and Positano. It was the last vacation I would spend with my husband as a family. We lost him January 8, 2011. Wonderful memories - Italy has to be the most beautiful place on earth. Nothing is lovelier to me.

chrissy said...

such beautiful photos!! i went years ago and it remains to be one of my favorite places. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

beutiful picture, i would love to go there, but coudn`t find a good accomodation!, could you suggest me some hotels??

bolorianapea said...

Hi :) I've been twice to Cinque Terre, because it's one of the most amazing places I know. It's really an unusual kind of vacation spot in Italy: most places are famous and visited because of their monuments and history, but in Cinque Terre nature prevails.

As for hotels in Cinque Terre I would advise you to look for rooms at rent (affittacamere, in italian) as there are only a couple of actual hotels in Cinque Terre. Otherwise you'd have to look in La Spezia, a bigger city just 5 minutes away from Riomaggiore, but you would have to take the train every time. I stayed in a room for rent both times I was there and it was fine.

By the way, I'm Italian and feel so proud to read so many people liked visiting my Country!

Sarah (La Maison Boheme) said...

Your photos are amazing. This is my favorite place in Italy. My husband and I honeymooned in the Cinque Terre with Vernazza as our home base. It was perfectly dreamy. We were there in January when it was cool and quiet. I'd love to get back there in the spring!

Lisa said...

So lovely! Cinque Terre is one of my two favourite places in Italy (the other is Florence). Your beautiful photos make we want to go again...

Anonymous said...

New to your site, seeing it today has comfirmed you'll be a keeper. At 8 months pregnant, my husband and I walked this trail ending at your same town only to be greeting by the loveliest restaurant hosts .... who kept talking to my belly :)
Thank you for resurrecting a 15 year ago memory!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+