Thursday, September 16, 2010

A super yummy (and healthy!) banana bread recipe I just tried

So I am not much of a cook, but I do like to bake (mostly I like the eating part). I had nine frozen bananas, baking staples, and a newly designed Pyrex® measuring cup to try out. So I figured I'd pair this product review with a great recipe. Pyrex® sent me a new spin on their glass measuring cups, with a more funnel shaped design, a non-skid rubber base, and the ability to read the measuring lines from above and inside the cup. Here's there description:

"Providing convenience beyond measure, the new Pyrex® Read from Above™ Glass Measuring Cups offer several smart features, including:

* Read-from-above measure marks – no more bending over or lifting up required to check your measurements
* Silicone-covered bases for better grip on work surfaces (on selected designs)
* Nested designs for easy storage
* Non-porous glass that won’t absorb stains or odors
* Microwave safe for everyday convenience

* Multi-position, BPA-free lids so you can mix, stir, pour, strain and sprinkle with one tool (COMING SOON!)"

Here's a view of the easier to read measuring graphics from above

Got my ingredients ready to go

The spoons on the left bottom corner are from Pyrex too - my dad thought they were "cool," because they are magnetic so they all stay together in the drawer.

I didn't end up with as much batter as I thought - I should have just put it all in one pan.

mmmm....the bread turned out moist and dense.

Here's the recipe:

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup flax seed meal
  • 5 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 organic plain low fat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons egg whites
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar blend, flax meal, bananas, milk, sour cream and egg whites until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the banana mixture until moistened. Spoon into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean.
The original recipe is here, I made a few alterations based on the ingredients I had on hand

Disclosure: I received these Pyrex® products as a sample.


Ed Hardy said...

...yammy! love it!

Zoo York said...

just superb!...cant wait to try it!

Kellie Dobbie said...

Bananas are definitely healthy....and I'm always on the lookout for healthy recipes. Thanks for this.

Raquel Barbosa said...

Seems really yummy! I'm gonna try this weekend.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...