Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Morocco Series: The intricate, breathtaking Ali Ben Youssef Medersa in Marrakesh





I'm not exaggerating - the Ali Ben Youssef Medersa was unbelievable. Every surface, nook, and cranny was adorned with meticulous stucco, or wood detailing. See for yourself.

*please be patient during photo upload - I've specially uploaded higher-res images so you guys get extra detail! :)






Amazing detail!

This is a shot looking out of an upper level window - the detail extends all the way up to the roofs.




Beautiful views out the dormitory windows. The dorm rooms themselves are actually very modest rooms.

A hall within the Medersa.














*All photos taken by my boyfriend, Chris

** I am by no means an expert and after 7 days of running around Morocco please feel free to correct me if any information I give in the Morocco Series is incorrect!

4 comments:

Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

So beautiful that it seriously boggles my mind.

redbrickbuilding said...

Totally breathtaking - the amount of work that went into decorating those walls. Is it stone? I'd love to be able to find tile like that in the U.S. (intricately textured but not colored/painted).

Raru said...

Love it. All this details and forms. Thank you for sharing :)))

Meredith said...

Oh my god, that's beautiful!!! I LOVE calligraphy - I minored in Arabic in college, and I fell in love with Arabic calligraphy then. Its so beautiful how they turn words into works of art.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+