Friday, December 18, 2009

A personal post: Remembering Cody a year later

A year ago today the saddest event of my life took place. My 8 year old Australian shepherd, Cody, succumbed to lymphoma, just a month after his diagnosis and after one round of chemo. His weight had dropped down from 40lbs to 25lbs in just a few months. He went from a happy, lively deer and chicken chaser to unable to walk in just a few months. It was a terrible thing to watch this terrible disease defeat this poor innocent little boy, and we couldn't explain to him why he had to go to the vet so often and why he had to take so much medicine that just made him feel worse. It didn't take Cody long to find out that the cancer medicine made him even more nauseous and tired, so he refused to take it.


Cody was ambitious when he chose his stick for playing fetch

Checking on his chickens

A couple of weeks after his death I joined up with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and ran a marathon in order to raise over $5,000 for cancer research. Many of you reached out with encouraging words and donations and I cannot possibly express my gratitude.


Cody loved vacationing at the Outer Banks with us. He made them the most fun vacations ever.

This year I've donated and asked my family in lieu of gifts for me to instead make donations in Cody's memory to the Morris Animal Foundation Canine Cancer Campaign. I also want to remind everyone to stop and be grateful for the family, friends, and pets that make their life what it is, and the past friends, family, and pets who may no longer be around in body but whose memory comforts us in tough times. Reconnecting with family and friends is what the holidays are all about.

What I love about Christmas is that my parents and all of my sisters and I are all together again in the same house, just like we were as kids. The yummy baked goods my mom makes are great too, but it's my family that I couldn't live without. Wow, I've really rambled on here! I guess I'll just end by saying that maybe today, in memory of Cody and all the loved ones we've lost, to remember how important friends, family, and pets are - not new clothes or shoes or electronic gadgets - but the people and animals who love you. Because I cannot remember the material gifts I received 9 years ago, but boy do I remember the day we brought baby Cody home and he joined our family.
I truly wish you all a very, very happy holiday.


The day we brought him home.

17 comments:

Kristi W. said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It must have been so hard for you losing your dog close to the holidays like that. I think it's wonderful that you ran the marathon and raised so much money for cancer. You are helping so many people. From one dog lover to another, I wish you very warm holiday cheer.

Once Upon A Tea Time said...

This was such a heartfelt post. I was scrambling with the holiday 'stuff' that you get caught up in but your post brought back what is truly important. Thank you and have a great holiday!

brynalexandra said...

I'm so sorry for your loss :( My husband's childhood dog lost his life to cancer and it's very devastating seeing your sweet happy dog become so sick. I know you gave Cody the best life a dog could ever have!

Shauna said...

Thank you for sharing your story; it brought a tear to my eye and really makes you stop and feel good about the friends and family we have (pets included of course!)

Annao said...

What a wonderful, sweet post. Animals and people who are close to us make such an enormous difference in our lives. They will always be close by. Thinking of you, and Cody.

Jennie said...

I'll remember always always. Always is my promise.

Eve said...

Tears are running while I am reading your post. Only if you ever had a daog one can understand that it is a real familiy member. My dog Felix has a serious heart disease. In May he almost died and the vet gave him 3 months. In June his brother Filou died unexpectedly within 5 hours. He had cancer but fortunately he didn´t suffer. I can very well feel, what this means to you that Cody left this world. And I can only tell you, that we should try not to be sad that he had to go but try to be glad that he joined our live. He looks so cute at your pics and sure want you to be happy each time you think about him !

Have a wonderful weekend !
Eve from Germany

ChicTip.com said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I still remember your heartbreaking post when he died.

Kate said...

awww :(

Sheridan Joslin said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost our Ollie to stomach cancer. They are such a joy and it's so heartbreaking when they are gone. Best wishes.

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

He's absolutely adorable. And I bet he loved the great, loving life provided by you. : )

Merry Christmas.

Alaina

Jennifer, Inside Out Colour and Design said...

Oh, this post brought a tear to my eye. We had to put our little mate of 11 years down last Friday and it's just the saddest thing. I wrote a post on it too because it is such a massive moment in your life. They become so much part of your family. You're right, we should cherish our friends and loved ones more often. Christmas is a great time to do it.

Pat said...

Tears are streaming down my face & I can hardly see to type...hope it is legible for you. I am so very sorry for your loss ~ there is no pain like losing a fur baby. I love that you ran the marathon and I too volunteer for cancer patients and research.

You wrote a beautiful tribute for your people family too...and it is so very true. "Things" are just not where it's at ~ it's the people in our lives and the memories we create.

Sending peace, love & healing your way.

Andree said...

A beautiful post, thank you.

The holidays can be a difficult and emotional time when a loved one has died and is not there this time....

But I also think it is good to grieve and cry and remember, look at photos and smile -- there is so much love we can give and we can accept. It is just up to us to open our hearts.

God Bless.

Andree

down comforter said...

I'm sooo sorry for your loss. I lost my Rusty in March - he was a beautiful orange & white cat. I had him for 12 years & it's hard not having him around this year. He went through months of taking medicine & fluids, as he had developed kidney failure, so I understand how it is seeing such a helpless animal go through terrible illness. My pets are my children, as I'm sure Cody was yours. One comfort you can take in his passing is all the awareness & donations you've raised for such a worthy cause.

Nuit said...

aww... sad, sad.... That is really hard... but it's nice that you can do this and remember him at his best! x

The Green Pea said...

I am so sorry that you lost Cody. He was a beautiful dog. May God give you peace. You did all that you could for him and a wonderful home. sandi

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+