Monday, December 14, 2009

Period houses galore - people who live in centuries old homes

I literally stumbled across the site, Period Properties the other day, and down the rabbit hole I fell! It's like flipping through a fairy tale and seeing how people - rich and poor, lived hundreds of years ago. The catch is people live there now, have tried to preserve the character of the home, and tell their renovating stories.


I could totally call this cottage my own :)

My mother would love this room!

So - what do you think? Could you live in a home this old and so historically decorated?


Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

I love love love the character of old homes. My fiancee and I are currently renovating a 130 year old home in Chicago and even though it is painstaking work, we absolutely love it and love that we are preserving a piece of history while building our future! Thanks for the post!

Catherine said...

I'm a HUGE fan of older homes - in spite of all the extra work they usually entail. Myself and my husband are (gradually) renovating our 1920's "craftsman" style home - adding some modern touches, but preserving the basic period features of the house. I love that things were so well-made back in that era. The brickwork and woodwork in our house is fantastic. You rarely see that kind of quality any more - at least, not without spending vast amounts of money (which we don't have, sadly!).

down pillow said...

I would abssolutely LOVE to have a home like this!!!!! I just love the charm & character of old builds - much more interesting to me than new homes.

Kristin said...

I love the first photograph you shared. I'd love to live in a historic home, but I don't think I could stick to decorating in the same period. That would be hard for me!

Philigry said...

oh, i love your blog~! so glad i found it. i will be back!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...