Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Battle of the Paints! - and help my mom choose a color for the dining room!

I had a fun little project this weekend which was to compare Glidden's new paint formula with a higher end paint. In this case they sent me Benjamin Moore to compare with their paint and both were a white eggshell base. I applied the paint directly on a wall in the dining room which is currently undergoing a little renovation, so it's going to be painted over soon anyway.

The package and it's contents that Glidden sent me. The papers with the black stripe though the middle were special testing sheets, which I didn't end up using since I had a wall available.

Each can upon opening. This was the only place I saw a difference, was that with Glidden there was a layer of medium (a translucent layer) of liquid at the top, which I stirred in.

This is the Benjamin Moore swatch. It went on really well and with good coverage. It was a little thicker than Glidden and didn't splatter.

I used a fresh brush and applied the Glidden swatch. It had a slightly thinner consistency and didn't splatter either.

Glidden on the left, Benjamin Moore on the right.

All in all, and days after, I really cannot detect any difference between the swatches. I was really impressed with the one coat coverage that both paints provided. As far as wear over time I won't beable to comment, but as of right now I can honestly say that I think performance is equal.

Now, for the really fun part! Like I mentioned the dining room is going through a little renovation, and will need to be painted. Below you will find the fabric my mom wants to use to make valances and curtains for the room.

There's been some questions about the house so here's some clarification: This is my parent's house. It is a 65 acre farm in MD. The house is very country. The ceilings have salvaged beams, some of the walls have dark wood paneling, and there are wood burning fireplaces throughout. The fabric wouldn't be appropriate in modern houses I agree, but it fits my mother (this is a lady who spends weekends baking bread!), as well as the country feel of her rancher.

I've tried to get the true color as close as possible. She wants to use the fabric as a jumping off point, and mom is leaning toward painting the room a warm, brickish red without too much pink in it, as seen on some of the flowers in the print. However, she is very open to some other suggestions too!

Here are the glidden swatches:
I've randomly assigned each one a letter and I also randomly rolled over one of the colors on the Glidden site to get the color name. Here is the link if you'd like to give me a color's name. Or, you could just say something like, Palette C., 3rd row, second column - the pale tanish color. (just fyi, rows are horizontal, or across, and columns are vertical)

I really look forward to hearing your suggestions and I hope you'll respond!













Shauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shauna said...

I'd do an almost white, maybe with a hint of green, or a hint of plum.

Anna said...

Wow, this is some hard question here...I would go for some colors from palette C, F, I or K, but the F palette seems the best option. It´s hard to decide without seeing the furiniture etc.
Good luck with the renovation!


I would go with your mother's original thought...the red hue. Paint with a semi-gloss or high-gloss paint which will give the walls a nice patina. Her drapery fabric is so homey it would be nice to see a shiny tweed-like fabric for her chairs in the same colors as the walls, so many hues of reds, violets, etc. Hope there is lots of wood, brilliantly polished, in the room. Her accessories will tell the story when all is finished. Good luck and happy re-do !!!

home before dark said...

I agree with Splenderosa. When in doubt, perhaps a mother's first thought trumps all?

Anonymous said...

I fear a brick red is too heavy for such a light and airy fabric. Dont know how many walls she has to cover but I would suggest pulling out colors of gold, soft sage green or a not too pink peach which will allow the fabric to take center stage,not the walls. Just my opinion. Will look forward to seeing the end product.

Anonymous said...

the fabric will be center-stage IF the walls are a deep red/brick. the basic color of the fabric is white, isn't it?

Chrissa said...

Sorry that I don't comment often, I read this feed through my Google Reader (and I'm lazy)...but after reading your blog for some time, I have to candidly ask you...You're going to let *that* fabric be your starting point? Really?

I'm rather shocked. It reminds me of old wallpaper that we'd remove to replace with a Damask or Toile...or stencil. I see you doing something far bolder, cleaner, gray with red hues, or aqua with white and silver...anything but what that fabric as a springboard will get you.

Just saying.

PS-I love your blog.


Chrissa, totally agree with your comment, however, we don't know the style of the house, where it is located, etc. All of these things would add vital information which we would need before we can condemn the fabric too much. I definitely would choose another fabric, but we were given parameters - the fabric as a starting place - so we should play along, don't you think?
I love love love this blog as well.

Ashley said...

@Chrissa -
Hi Chrissa, as always I really appreciate your suggestions! This is my mothers house. It is a 65 acre farm in MD, my mother is in her mid 50s. The house is very country. The ceilings have salvaged beams, some of the walls have dark wood paneling, and there are wood burning fireplaces throughout. The fabric wouldn't be appropriate in modern houses I agree, but it fits my mother's sweet disposition (this is a lady who spends weekends baking bread!), as well as the country feel of her rancher. Okay, I hope this clarifies the fabric choice! Thanks again for reading!

Charis said...

I used that fabric for a valance in a client's kitchen a few years ago. (I can agree with Chrissa - it is dated, but the client picked it.) But I found the fabric was discontinued and luckily found just enough on eBay to fabricate the valance. So if you are choosing from a swatch at a fabric store, check to see if it's available before moving forward. BTW, I like the greens with this. I used a creamy taupe in the kitchen I did.

Ashley said...

My mom actually has the fabric already she found it in clearance - good to know though or I would've just assumed it's available!

Charis said...

That's great Ashley. After your additional comments above I can really see this working in your mom's kitchen - it is cheery after all! Make sure she's happy with which direction the different elements are. My client was very picky and didn't want the butterfly upside down, but didn't mind the tulip being upside down. Sheesh! I love your blog and check it every day. Thanks for all your wonderful work here!

Ashley said...

Thanks Charis! My mom is actually sewing these curtains and valance herself, so if she's very picky it'll be her battle ;)

And, yeah, this fabric is sooo my mom :)

Meredith said...

I like the last yellow the best. The reds are great, but I feel like they'd be really overpowering. And I love the whites, but it might be a little boring in that room. They're all great choices though!!

Lisa said...

Love your blog, my mom introduced me to it. I would choose palette C, column 3, bottom row -- "aged teak". I'm drawn to the plum coloured flowers in the fabric. If the aged teak is too pink for your mom, maybe one of the purpley plum greys on the same palette. I know from experience that I tired of orange quickly, if you to decide to go that way maybe consider it as an accent wall. Who know, any room with exposed beams will be beautiful.


Jeanne, my friend, who just read all this with much laughter...red is good. Hardwood floors? Dark she hopes. Her suggestion, which is really a good one...paint 3 panels of poster board the various colors you finally select, and move them around the room as the daylight changes. Voila.

This is so much fun!!!!!

down pillow said...

My vote's for H - love that color :)

Anonymous said...

OK hard to tell without seeing it on the wall, but my 3 suggestions such as they are:

Cafe Latte - gives sort of a mid century feel I think? May be too pinky

Soft Meadow or Frosted Green Grape (although I hate that name :) I like the idea of a grayish green dining room...sort of Scandinavian-ish

Crisp Autumn Leaves


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...