Monday, November 30, 2009

Yes, No, or Meh... How do you feel about this fireplace? (Plus a lovely roundup of fireplaces)

I ran across this fireplace in metropolitan home. It was really the chimney breast that caught my attention. It's not my style but I still can't make an unbiased judgment as to whether or not I like it. I suppose I can say that I like the concept of customizing, or calling out the chimney breast, but I just can't carry off zebra stripes. What do you think?

via Metropolitan Home

So, this inspired me to sniff out some fireplaces that I was certain I liked!

I think this is so pretty and sweet. It's a similar idea to that above - but instead of painting the chimney breast it's been wallpapered.
image and instructions at Ideal Home

via Flickr
I thought this was a sweet idea - with the photos, and as you can see it also works in many architectural situations.

via House to Home

All four of these images make me gush - and a great way to use a fireplace that is non-working or out of season.
via Abbey Goes Design Scouting

via Fireplace Decorating


I think the magic of the image above is that the painting above the fireplace is almost the same size and proportion as the fireplace opening. The stark white walls also make a striking contrast.


via Apartment Therapy

11 comments:

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

I used to have the birds over the fireplace in the from Fireplace Decorating image... Mine were all blue and helped cover up the fact that I had a wall of mirrors in my itsy bitsy studio!

Nichi said...

The polkadot fabric on the chairs make the hate the combination with the fireplace, but otherwise the fireplace is would be cool in the right setting

Marilyn said...

I love, love, love it! And my tastes run very traditional//colonial -- I live in Mt. Vernon, Virginia, near the estate of our first president -- and I decorate thusly, but of all the fireplace mantles you show, the first is my favorite: fabulous! I'm not terribly fond of the others....Sorry.

Pat said...

I love it! I'd have the chairs in a solid cherry red though. The others do not speak to me at all.

SPLENDEROSA said...

My Gucci-Girl daughter-in-law would LOVE the zebra fireplace. She is the ultimate animal-print & polka-dot girl though. Her sense of style works for HER. Mama-in-law prefers the last image. However, the sleek clean contemporary one is next. This is cool. Thanks.

Chic Coles (Cole Design) said...

I personally Love the first image of the fireplace. I think it is really fun and we used it on a post of fireplaces too!

Sallie Ann said...

Just seeing the zebra fireplace, I don't like it. However, whomever did this had a real sense of themselves (I'm assuming) and that's sexy and great. So, for that reason, I am going to say they created a bold and fun place for themselves that may inspire others with a kindred spirit. How's that? Ha!

Daniella said...

I actually don't like the fireplace, but I love the chairs!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

hmmm... i could do with either the fireplace with plan white chairs or a plain white fireplace with the patterned chairs. But not both and not with that rug! Just me! :)

down comforter said...

Mmmmm...not a fan of the zebra, but you found some other really lovely ones :)

HUB said...

Oooh - made my eyes go all funny. Living with wavy stripes would give me nausea. I prefer something more calming. Take a look at mine at www.hubinteriordesigns.co.uk - home page. Cheers Camilla

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+