Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring clearing - the dining room (lots of dining eye candy too!)

This room will probably be one of the easier rooms in your home. With the uprising of eat-in-kitchens many of us find our dining rooms not used. Save this room for a day when you don't have a lot of time or pair it with another task.

• Dust down the ceiling and corners
Consider if the walls in your home need to be washed. Check here for information on how to clean different wall surfaces. Don't forget air vents and switch plates.

• Dust and clean all wall art. Be careful when cleaning framed art and photographs. Never spray cleaner or water onto the frame. The liquid can seep behind the glass and damage the pictures. Instead lightly wet a clean cloth to wipe the frame and glass.

• Clean the Ceiling Fan.You know what's worse than a fly in your soup, a large chunk of dust from your ceiling fan in your soup. Dust the fan and fan blades. You may need to use a gentle cleanser like Murphy’s Oil Soap mixed with water and a cleaning cloth. Take down light fixtures and gently wash and dry them before replacing.

• Take down draperies and curtains to wash or have cleaned according to the directions. Dust down any blinds and other window treatments. Dust down and wash window sills and corners. Wash the inside and outsides of windows. Take down and rinse off screens, before replacing.

• Wash down the dining table, chairs, and any other furniture thoroughly. If you have wood furniture that needs to be oiled or waxed, do this now. If your chairs have an upholstered seat, spot clean the seats.

• Clean the carpet and rugs. You can choose to use a carpet professional, rent a cleaning machine, or vacuum and spot-treat according to soil level.

What You Need:
  • Dust mop (preferably with a long handle)
  • Step-ladder
  • Cleaning cloths
  • Small bucket with handle
  • Sponges
  • Vacuum with attachment
  • Gentle cleanser
  • Rug shampoo machine with upholstery attachment (optional)
  • Spot remover for upholstery or carpets (optional)
via About.com

I'd love to know more about you guys and your homes! Which dining room comes closest to yours?

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.
Happy clearing!

images via House to Home

14 comments:

jess@thehomebound said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have now motivated me to start some deep cleaning in my house. Oh, and great eye candy.

Megan said...

Thanks! I loved all the dining rooms! We are just about to embark on re-doing our dining room, and loved the pics!

My Favorite and My Best said...

mine is closest to D but i wish it were C.
xoj

Ava Lee said...

Mine is closest to B. But with early Thornet chairs. And a large piece of ikat fabric I stretched over canvas covering one wall

DesignUtopia said...

I have yet to design my new dining room.... great ideas.... I like certain elements of all these dining rooms!!!!

Lee said...

I'd have to say J is the closest match to my dining room, but unfortunately mine's nowhere near as pretty.

Maya said...

I'd like to repaint my dining room... in a darker color..., feeling wise it's a bit like F without the wall paper and with white linen curtains..., and we'll also have an eat in kitchen once the kitchen isle is built.

TheDecoDetective said...

The colours are closest to E, I think. White, no-fuss Ikea table with two teak dining chairs from the sixties (very comfortable) and two birch Ikea chairs with rattan seating (very uncomfortable). I'm not happy with the mix but I'm not changing anything before I know where I'll be living in the near future!
Thank you for another motivational post. You obviously have a knack for making people actually want to do the serious cleaning work!
Have a great weekend Ashley!
Trudi

home before dark said...

Fo better or worse, my dining room is like nothing in these pictures. When we bought our house 24 years ago, the first thing I did was turn the adjoining family room with fireplace into the dining room and make the existing dining room shared with the living room, one big room and turn the master bedroom (upstairs) into the family room. I was working full time with a young child and I could keep one floor decent looking, but not two! Anyway back then I painted everything white. But now, I'm going to paint my dining room red and turn the room more into a library/dining room.

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Ok...closest to K. Same (similar) lamp, used to be the same table (but now a stainless steel gurney type) and I have ALWAYS wanted those great wishbone chairs. Only diff is, ours has been turned into a Library/Office with lots of bookcases.

JEWELL said...

if i had a table it would be j!

p.s. i just did my spring cleaning...sad i missed your post! maybe i'll get motivated and do it again!!

S.E. said...

Some nice rooms...but none even close to looking like mine! But I now feel I should take down the curtains and give 'em a good shake outside...

Jennie said...

Check out the candleholders in K! Your fibonacci.

Shaira@Bellevue said...

You have posted some nice pictures that opted me to clean (actually renovate my dining area). I have tried some colors on the walls and its going well!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Google+