Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'll be back soon! I'm going to visit a place like this...

I'm off to Florida you guys! I'm taking a much needed long weekend to visit one of my sisters and relax on the beach. So, I'm leaving you with ways to add some light-hearted, tropical air to your space.

oh...this is so me... natural wood tones and white

via the beautiful blog, this is glamorous

West Elm(top)/Pottery Barn ( 2 bottom) via Material Girls

Material Girls gave some really good advice on achieving this look:
  • Rattan or wicker furniture
  • Wood flooring
  • Natural area rug- seagrass or sisal
  • Mixing lots of texture and pattern is a must!
  • Comfort is key- large upholstered furniture in preferably white or off white will give it a fresh, clean, and crisp look
  • Animal prints!!!!
  • A few leather pieces
  • Try to stick with these colors- pale yellows, browns, golds, beiges, natural greens that have more yellow in them, soothing blues, whites, and splashes of red, black, and chocolate brown
  • Wood furniture
  • Lanterns
  • Bamboo shades for your windows
  • Table setting- they have these great round textured placemats at Crate and Barrel/ C&B Outlet or you could do wooden bowls
  • Large floor vase with bamboo sticks
  • A candle in a glass container with water rocks/stones
  • Wood bowl with real fruit
But if you want more of a beach/nautical look, here are some of my favorite accessories:

  • Faux coral- I can't say enough about it, I have a piece of it in my Living Room that I bought at Crate and Barrell and it just makes my coffee table.
  • Extra large clam shells- I know we have done a high low feature on this before, but you can find them everywhere these days- they are very in style!
  • Anything dark blue and white
  • Stripes are always nice for this
  • How about putting starfish in a bowl or in a jar?
  • Shells on a stand or in a glass bowl
  • A glass apothecary jar filled with mom (who inspires me every day!) has been collecting sand from the different beaches she has visisted while on vacation for the past I don't know how many years- she then puts the sand in different glass jars and labels them where they came from. It makes a really cute display and a great conversation starter about all of your travels!
Tips via Material Girls (more great info to be had)

via Home Decorating Reviews

Tropical island architectural genius! I love the use of stone! It must make the home feel so cool when coming in from the beach.



Hudson Goods said...

love the last two posts with the natural stone.

Jennie said...

:) Yay! Me and Florida will be glad to see you!

lady macleod said...

a fun tour. Enjoy your vacation. I enjoyed my visit to your blog.

TheDecoDetective said...

Have a lovely trip Ashley! I appreciated your inspiring posts about spring cleaning - the light is returning here in Norway and I've started to give my apartment some seriously scrutinizing looks...
I'm really happy that you received a couple of donations via my post=)
Have a super weekend!

Chris said...

I would add to that list, Distressed aka Shabby Chic or Rustic furniture, as this really adds to the atmosphere of the room.

Down Comforter said...

Some really great pics, as usual :) I love the bedroom photo from Home Decorating Reviews - amazing.

{this is glamorous} said...

How fun! Have a fantastic trip! Thanks for the link-love :)

Sam said...

So glad to have found your blog - looking forward to your posts...

Christy Wagner said...

Ya gotta love West Elm!

respiteandreverie said...

Have fun on your vacation! I'm really digging that patterned duvet. Lovely.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...